Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Bozo


Larry Harmon, the man who brought Bozo to the masses, died last week. I'll always have a soft spot for him because in the mid-90s, I was lucky enough to write for the Bozo the Clown Super Sunday Show (broadcast from WGN in Chicago) with my friend Scott.

We would sit in his dorm room at the University of South Carolina and come up with perfectly-crafted diamond tipped arrows fired at the heart of comedy that were both vaudevillian and Brechtian in nature...and as long as they ended with someone getting hit in the face with a pie, the folks in charge were happy.

It was nice to finally be paid for writing and I bought a pair of sunglasses ($35) with my first Bozo paycheck ($40)...then sat on them less than a week later. (cue foghorn)

Still, it was fun to see the sketches, however butchered, performed on live TV. 

Godspeed, Mr. Harmon! 

No comments: